Tuesday, March 24, 2015

As long as it's groovin' then I'm movin'

“I love music.  Any kind of music.”  That’s just a small snippet of a song back in the day.  I think the 70’s.  I loved that song as a kid.  It was true for me then and it is now.  Music.  It gets me movin’.  The melodies, high notes, low notes, the drama of it and the quiet, still of the tempo.  If the lyrics are good, it makes the song even better.  Music can make me travel out of my day.  There’s a song by the Doobie Brothers that takes me back to the time I had my ‘74 Red Mustang, stick shift with the sunroof top.  Wind blowing through.  My hair flowing all around.  It was summer and I was on my way to work.   My grandmother bought it for me.  She also taught me how to drive it that first day.   My first car. Man! I was it!  It still brings a smile to my face.  Music can be and is very therapeutic.  Oh wait!  I said I love “any kind of music” but I actually have a few short lines that I won’t cross.  Old Rap, yes. Is one.  I like that.  The so-called new “rap” of today...can’t take it.  My preference people.

Music can soothe “the savage beast” or a troubled soul if that’s more understandable.  Look at Saul in 1 Samuel 16:23.  There was an “...evil spirit…” on Saul and when David played his harp, the spirit left Saul.  Another example is in Psalm where it speaks of praising GOD with all types of instruments along with singing and dancing.  Now, let’s not get crazy with the idea of dancing. I know the bible doesn’t mean the “booty shaking” type of moves that’s done today. :-)  Music is everything and it’s a universal language that can speak to one’s soul.  So, when you’re feeling blue, crank up some good, inspirational sounds.  Classical, good-smooth-happy jazz, instrumental, Gospel, Christian, clean pop music like “Happy” (I know some people are sick of it) or maybe Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger (What doesn’t kill you)” or whatever.  As long as the words are inspirational and not condemning or consuming to the soul.  Just relax, release and enjoy.  Free yourself in music and song and, if you dare yourself, give Jesus some praise in it too.  That’s the best remedy of all.  Oh! I like that song too (Remedy - Jason Mraz)! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment